A new version of Gmail Keeper is now available, the latest version is 188.8.131.524 and the following is a list of changes/enhancements made since the last announcement:
- Allow ignore big emails when backing up emails from Gmail server.
Big emails (usually with large attachments) sometimes cause unexpected connection error that is initiated by Gmail server, if you having problems backing up your Gmail and Gmail Keeper reports ‘Unknown 313 error’, try to take advantage of this option. See screenshot below:
- More reliable Gmail backup and Gmail restore operations.
This is achieved by automatically decreasing the number of email headers to retrieve at a time when getting email headers from Gmail server in order to identify new emails to download. I guess the source of the problem is that Gmail server unexpectedly terminates a IMAP connection if a client consumes too much (how much? No one knows) bandwidth in a given time.
- Fixed a new bug that’s introduced in the last version: Restore will not continue if the ‘All Mail’ folder cannot be found in the target account (in case of the display languages in the source and target account is not the same)
- Allow continue to restore to a Gmail account even if the display languages are different in the source and target accounts. Note: If you choose to continue restore to Gmail in this case the sent emails will not be able to put in your ‘Sent Mail’ folder.
- Fixed: Gmail Keeper incorrectly shows message ‘Your Gmail language is not English’ which is caused by extra email folders that are created under the ‘[Gmail]’ or ‘[Google Mail]’ folder (these folders are usually created with other Email client programs).
- Changed: Remove the size information in the profile setup window, to increase the speed when fetching folders and labels from a Gmail account.
- The ‘Number of email headers to download each time’ in the Options window is not saved after that window is closed.
People want to backup their Google calendar data
From time to time, I got emails from paid/prospect customers of Gmail Keeper asking if Gmail Keeper can backup their Google calendars, but unfortunately the answer is no (currently). For now Gmail Keeper can only reads emails from your Gmail and Google Apps accounts and save them to disk and then zip them, it does not read Google calendar data.
Will Gmail Keeper support backup Google calendar?
Answer: It depends on how many requests for Google calendar data backup will I still get in the future. Or if I start using Google Calendar myself, maybe I’ll need to find a way to backup the calendar myself 😉
Another question I need to consider is that how to store and view the calendar data locally, let me know if you have any comments.
Tagged: Backup, Online Calendar Backup
Google does not open Gmail chats API
We are constantly receiving requests from Gmail Keeper users for backing up Gmail chats history with Gmail Keeper, it seems that the chatting feature in Gmail (including Google Apps) is commonly being used, but unfortunately, since Google does not currently open the API (application programming interface) which allows downloading chats history from a Gmail account, it’s currently impossible to do that technically.
Gmail Keeper will backup Gmail chats in the future
The good news is, as soon as Gmail server opens an interface for accessing chats history to third party programs, we’ll follow up immediately, to add the Gmail chats backup function to Gmail Keeper, so ,eep an eye on Gmail Keeper 😉
Currently it can backup emails from all folders and labels from your Gmail account, and the labels are reserved in the local backup data, currently you can see the associated Gmail labels with modern zip archiver program (e.g. the free 7-zip), but in future versions will be able to view and search the local backup data with Gmail Keeper by using a Gmail-like interface.
Tagged: Backup, Gmail Chats